With coach Jen's information session on sleep happening TONIGHT at the studio, I thought this blog post to be appropriate.
Do you ever have a hard time falling asleep or experience stress or tension during your busy day?
I am willing to bet you have experienced both on a regular basis.
Whenever you have a hard time falling asleep or have a moment of frustration or stress during the day try using a breathing technique called BOX BREATHING.
This breathing technique has been scientifically shown to help calm and regulate the autonomic nervous system to reduce stress, improve mood, treat insomnia and even help with pain management.
Let's breakdown the technique.
Box breathing works on a 4-4-4-4 sequence:
1. Inhale through your nose slowly and deeply using your diaphragm for 4 seconds creating a sensation of your abdomen filling with air.
2. Hold your breath in for 4 seconds.
3. Slowly exhale all the air out of your lungs for 4 seconds.
4. Hold with the air out of your lungs for 4 seconds.
5. Repeat the process over and over for 4 minutes.
Give this box breathing technique a try when going to bed or anytime throughout the day when you're feeling stressed and it will help you reset and refocus on what is really important.
Here's to a good night's sleep and more calm work days.